


Today marks the 58th wedding anniversary of my parents. my father had graduated from the civil engineering program at UNB Fredericton that april. mom had just graduated from Minto High School that june. they lived up North while dad worked as a surveyor, working as part of a team that created such accomplishments as the Alaska highway. In the summer of 1955, they received 2 great messages that they longed for: stop in Edmonton to pick up your son, and head to Ottawa for your promotion. they had waited all those years to begin a family, and were on a list for adoption. dave joined the young parents, and together they moved to Ottawa, where Dad took a position with the dept. of indian and northern affairs. i arrived into the family in 1965, and we became the national average, complete with a dog and a cat, too. Dad retired from the federal government in 1978.
lately i have given a lot of thought to their lives and how they have changed. my mom was a stay at home mom. (which was most of the moms back in those days. though not close with my dad, as i grew up, we forged a different type of relationship. i'll always be daddy's little girl though. i have always been close to mom, even more so of late. which by the way, i am truly grateful for
my parents relationship has withstood the test of time, many marriages never see this milestone. i'm proud to have them be my parents.
Congrats to your parents. It's true that few couples today remain together so long. My parents have been together for 35 years. My grandparents were together for over 50 years. I hope that DF and I will be fortunate enough to be together that long. I know I look forward to every single day with her. It can't come soon enough!!xx
ReplyDeleteWow! Such a nice tribute to your parents! I'm so glad I got to see it before I left! I'm just about to head to the airport. See you when I get back!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to your parents. You're right, most marriages do not stand up to this test in time, it's incredibly admirable.You're all going through such a lot, my heart goes out to you and your family. You're a good daughter Marta, and I know your Mum will be appreciating you being there for her as much as you are able right now.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations to your folks...that's wonderful. Your tribute to them is really beautiful.It makes me want to do something like that for my folks...:)d
ReplyDeleteI would be so very proud too if I were you.I am sorry you are having such a tough time of late with your Dad's illness.My thoughts are with you.Take care.Bx
ReplyDeleteOh... and a *HUGE* congratulations to your parents... what a wonderful achievement!Bx
ReplyDelete