On this Christmas Eve, I wanted to just send a message out there to blogland and cyberspace to wish those who come here a safe and wonderful Christmas with their families & friends. Enjoy the time you share with your loved ones, and take a moment to remember those who are no longer with you. If there are a few tears in that, know that it is ok.
This season is always a mixed bag of emotions. I mean, there are all the childhood memories flooding back, there is the stress of making sure everything goes as planned, there are the feelings of loss if you have lost someone close to you....just a lot of things. This is my 8th sober Christmas, and it is something that I do not take for granted. I also realize that I am not the only one to feel some pangs from Christmases passed. Just know that we will all get through the holiday, one way or another. Know that you are enough just the way you are.
This week, I have done much reflecting, and yes, there has been that familiar lump in my throat, and a tear or two rolling down my cheek. T'is the season for many things. I mostly miss my parents. I had them for a good long time, and that is something I am grateful for. I also am grateful that Mom did not suffer too long in the end, and that Dad was only real ill a few months, rather than years. I feel their presence with me on this Christmas Eve.
Bestus and I opened 1 present each tonight. She bought me Smarties. They are awesome. a 6 pack of hollow chocolate balls with the candy covered chocolate goodies inside. She said she wanted to make sure I got Smarties for Christmas, like I used to from my parents, but not in the traditional tube. Last year I had a mini melt down in the candy isle at Wal*Mart looking at the Smarties tubes and Lifesaver Story Book. Mom & Dad always got me them, and last year was the first time I never got any.
We have to get up at 730 to get the bird in the oven, it is only a 33 pound turkey!! K made the famous apple pie tonight, and we got the presents wrapped and under the tree. Kids and R will be here tomorrow afternoon & evening, and it will be fabulous. Dinner at 7pm. This is a relaxing evening, and quiet. All is right in my world.
Anyway, have a wonderful Christmas Day blog friends, family, friends and readers. Make it GREAT~ poet
Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and yours! I'm glad you got Smarties this year. Many blessings~ :-)
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas, Poet! I'm taking a break from the baking and the cooking while waiting for one of my best friends to get here so we can get to celebrating.
ReplyDeleteI miss my mom terribly all the time but she really loved Thanksgiving and Christmas. Those were her favorite days and I decided a few years back that I'd invite friends that might not have anywhere else to go over for dinner and make things the way that she and my nana did. It makes me feel close to her on days that I'm missing her so very much.
I used to get the Life Saver books too. :)
Merry Christmas Marie and Heather. have a wonderful day.
ReplyDelete*make today GREAT~poet