Monday, October 16, 2006

the latest...

so here is the latest from my world. we met with dad's dr this morning and he eased our minds about dad's progress. he has sustained a significant brain injury from lack of oxygen, thus, only time will tell how much he returns to his old self. this is not a shock. no decisions need to be made immediately as to his placement, which is a relief to mom. we will, as we have been, take one day at a time. he is making progress, but it will likely be months in hospital. dr.p has a consult in with another dr.p on the rehabilitation floor. there are three scenarios for my dad.
1- he will die.
2- he will get back enough Independence that he will be able to go
home.
3- he will be rehabilitated enough to live at a nursing home.

#3 is the most likely target i think. but that will be months. he will remain under the care of the hospital until such time as the doctors feel he has made all the progress he will make, and only at that time will decisions need to be made.

this means that mom can rest a little easier at night. i can rest easier at night, and aunt j can go to florida for the winter as she does each winter.

i guess dad will be different now, for sure. i understand now why it is that he might not know who i am . i need to do much research on brain injury patients now, so that i can be able to be support for mom and help her to understand what road we are on.

thanks for all the support and kind words here. have a good monday. poet

22 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you are going through this, but I'm glad that things are settling down a bit and you can kind of relax. I'm sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry that you are going through this, but I'm glad that things are settling down a bit and you can kind of relax. I'm sending good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. IT's must be tough for all concerneed but now you have a good idea what to expect and could let out a bit of breath and go on with your lives with one less worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. IT's must be tough for all concerneed but now you have a good idea what to expect and could let out a bit of breath and go on with your lives with one less worry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you at least know what to expect. Hope he has a signifigant recovery..Hang in there..

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy and blue 2happyandblue2.comOctober 16, 2006 at 3:59 PM

    Glad you at least know what to expect. Hope he has a signifigant recovery..
    Hang in there..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry this is happening to you.A few years ago a freind of mine called me and told me her dad had been missing for a few days. I went looking for him with her and found him in one of his bedrooms. He had fallen and couldn't get up. he had lain there in a semiconscious state for more than twenty four hours. His circulation had been reduced, so he suffered a lot of brain damage. Very sad story.I am hoping for the best for you. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this is happening to you.

    A few years ago a freind of mine called me and told me her dad had been missing for a few days. I went looking for him with her and found him in one of his bedrooms. He had fallen and couldn't get up. he had lain there in a semiconscious state for more than twenty four hours. His circulation had been reduced, so he suffered a lot of brain damage. Very sad story.

    I am hoping for the best for you. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad things are getting a bit better now, eventhough there are still many problems and worries.I really hope you and your mother can have a moment to rest before you need to take care of other things like nursing homes for example.I wish you lots of strenght and positive energy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad things are getting a bit better now, eventhough there are still many problems and worries.
    I really hope you and your mother can have a moment to rest before you need to take care of other things like nursing homes for example.
    I wish you lots of strenght and positive energy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry to hear this, I hope he recovers enough to go home.But if I may make a suggestion, if it comes to option number three, you may want to start looking into them, I know here there can be months long waiting lists for placement. It may be different there tho, just thought I'd mention it. Oh, I hope that didn't come off as sounding insensitive, just blame it on a lack of sleep on my part.Take care, and I am still praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sorry to hear this, I hope he recovers enough to go home.

    But if I may make a suggestion, if it comes to option number three, you may want to start looking into them, I know here there can be months long waiting lists for placement. It may be different there tho, just thought I'd mention it.

    Oh, I hope that didn't come off as sounding insensitive, just blame it on a lack of sleep on my part.

    Take care, and I am still praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you one and all. i can feel the hugs clear to here!

    ReplyDelete
  14. poethttp://40spoet.wordpress.comOctober 17, 2006 at 4:03 PM

    thank you one and all. i can feel the hugs clear to here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad your minds are eased about his progress. The last thing you all need is the pressure of having to make critical decisions right away. You all need to take care of yourselves while going through this, too. It's hell and taking one day at a time is the best. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Also sending BIG HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad your minds are eased about his progress. The last thing you all need is the pressure of having to make critical decisions right away. You all need to take care of yourselves while going through this, too.

    It's hell and taking one day at a time is the best. I will continue to keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Also sending BIG HUGS to you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. how are you feeling about all of this? You sound very optimistic and I am so proud of you for that.It's the tough times that truely define who we are and you must be fresh air to your mother :)please feel free to email me anytime...in the meantime...cyber love to you,xxx:Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  18. how are you feeling about all of this? You sound very optimistic and I am so proud of you for that.

    It's the tough times that truely define who we are and you must be fresh air to your mother :)

    please feel free to email me anytime...in the meantime...cyber love to you,

    xxx:Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know this is pressure off of you, but I'm sorry you're having to even go through this. Sending wishes for continued strength to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know this is pressure off of you, but I'm sorry you're having to even go through this. Sending wishes for continued strength to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete