Monday, December 6, 2010

Self Appointed Scent Allergy Spokewoman~



 so, readers, those of you who read me, know my history with asthma, allergies, and the whole 'scent thing' . i want to go to my women's conference next June, but after this weekend, being so ill, i have decided not to attend. i did post a question on my support site asking about scent reduced policies or rules surrounding the 4 night event. i have gotten many kind words from my friends on that thread i created, and then, in my email i found this today-
Hi Poet-

I am so sorry to hear that you suffer so much from from something that seems so innocent.  One thing I would caution against though is making people who wear perfume villains.  I wear perfume everyday, unless I know that there are people like you who will have health problems triggered by it.  It sounds like you are really angry with people like me who love scent, but are more than willing to give it up if asked.  Just please stop calling us inconsiderate. 
 
and this is what i said on the thread. i am also writing it here because it will get more exposure, and i want every single person who reads this to truly understand that i am not being a bitch about this. this is a real problem, and not just for me, but for many women and men around the globe. i know i have readers around, so lets do a little educating, shall we? as the self appointed spokesperson for scent allergy awareness, lets begin:

And rather than reply to her alone, because I wonder if she is the only one who feels this way, I want everyone to read this.

It is wonderful that you would not wear it if you KNEW someone would be sick from it. What about the ones you don't know? Who you walk past in a grocery store or someone who has to ride in an elevator after you step out of it? Or get into a cab after you have exited, or walk past you on a bus? That is how I got sick Saturday....chickie at the checkout at a grocery store with her love of her fragrance not thinking about the people that she doesn't know who come in contact with her. Every single time I have gotten sick is from people I don't know, chance encounters, in places like stores, cab, and workplace. And as far as being angry, you are damned right I am angry. It is because of people who don't think about who they come in contact with from the time they leave their house until the time they get back home that I am penalized and excluded from so many things.

Just a few examples of exclusions are: employment opportunities. I am unable to work in an office setting because a co worker may wear scent. I am not just talking about perfumes; this can also mean body washes, hair sprays, shampoos & conditioners, mousse, deodorant, the laundry soap they use, the fabric softener they use. It could also be as simple as the little air freshener in their car. (This happened on one occasion). There are so many scent free options available out there, I know, because we use them. From laundry soap, dryer sheets, fabric softeners, deodorant, it is not hard to change. It is hard for me, and every single other person out there who cannot change. We suffer and I really mean suffer, by these simple acts that seem 'so innocent'.

I am also made to feel like I am a 'villain'. Have you any idea how it feels to be blacklisted nearly every place you’ve worked because you have spoken up about something that has actually killed some people? Yes, asthma and anaphylactic (sp) shock is deadly. I do not want to be dead. I don't want other people with environmental allergies, asthma, COPD, chronic bronchitis to be dead. Apparently, once again, I am the self appointed spokesperson for this. I get tired. I get angry. At every single job I have had, I have run into this. As a result of a very poorly (if at all) scent reduced policy, I have had to lose time from work, had to go home, buy medicine, and when I was well enough to return to work, be told that sick time, or personal days didn’t cover it. I would then have to make up the shifts I lost. You bet I am angry. Have you ever tried to make up 80 hours of work time while working full time? It is nearly impossible, unless you don’t mind working with NO days off for months.  I knew I was not the only one at my jobs to have these issues, and I would talk to them, I would ask for their support to go to management. When the time came for a meeting, there I’d be all alone, no one back me up. Tell me, how would that make you feel? Not only am I invisibly disabled, I am made to feel like shit for defending it, alone. One little person.
It is not too much to ask to have people be more aware of what they are doing around others.
I appreciate all of the kind words of support from those of you who have left the comments on this thread. I know this is not about alcoholism, but it is EVERYDAY Living, and this is where I need to share. I have every right to share just as everyone has. This is more life threatening than drinking ever was to me. 

side, note....the $59.00 worth of antibiotics (with no prescription drug coverage) i had to buy (500 mg caplets the size of horse pills that i take morning and night for the next 10 days) will soon begin to help me feel better. 

make tonight GREAT~ poet. 

11 comments:

  1. HERE! HERE! AWESOME POST BESTUS! I hope that people will truly take your words to heart. As your "canary" most of the time I am aware quick enough to warn you. Unfortunately, this time I was not. It only takes being around the scent for a very short time to make you sick. I get angry too. I have no allergies. Yet, I have not had any problem going scent-free. I do it not only because of you but for all those out there who also have medical issues with scent. I would feel just sick if something I wore made someone ill enough to have to seek medical attention like you did last night.

    I am so proud of you. It is people like you who speak up and talk about this issue that make the changes in this world.

    Keep it up! I'm in your corner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said! I know this doesn't hold a torch to what you go through, but my husband is very senstive to scents, but only to the point where he gets extremely bad migranes. He has prescriptions for "just in case" medications for when migranes are triggered, but they don't always help.

    There is a huge difference between scent free, and very lightly scented, and then being doused in the entire bottle, which unfortunately, is what most people do now. For some people to be so ignorant to scent allergies, is just rediculous...an allergy is an allergy, no matter how severe the reaction.

    No one should have to be subjected to whatever they are allergic to day in and day out, no amount of money is worth the health risk, but yet people like you who are so badly affected by this are judged like you chose for this to be this way.

    I think you are damn right to be angered by the ignorance of some people, and you are definately not a villian for feeling the way you do! If only more people would speak out as intensely as you do!

    High five!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Wow, I can feel your pain. Honestly, I don't even understand perfume. I never wear it and generally don't even like it (even though I'm not allergic) when other people wear it. This one woman I work with wears REALLY HEAVY perfume...you smell her coming and going...it's awful. I wish I could tell her to stop wearing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry. You can't expect the world to conform to the needs of the few and you are being completely unrealistic if that's what you expect. If you're in favor of banning scents what do you propose we do for the people who are allergic to wheat or corn based products? I know a man who is so sensitive to corn in any product, even toothpaste, that he is literally held hostage in his own home. How would you take care of him?

    I'm sorry you have this problem but at least you have a roof over your head, food to put in your mouth, and a computer to post a blog on. At least you are not blind, or deaf, or in a wheelchair. You are so much more fortunate than so many people in this world. Count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said. It is a shame that people are so thoughtless and uneducated. This is a common problem. i don't understand why people continue to wear scents.
    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the support from those of you on my side, as for anaon #2....how do you know i am not hostage in mine? i have friends who are also allergic to corn and wheat, and there is such a thing as gluten free everything. read the labels and its all good. nice to see that you did not sign the comment. obviously, you have not followed along for this blog very long, or you would not even write this. ....

    update for those of you on my side the antibiotics are doing the trick, i am feeling a little better tonight, still sore, still coughing, still mad as hell, but hey, life is what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't usually post a comment twice but I feel in this case I must.

    I live with Poet. I see her fear. I know what she goes through. Her allergy to scent is not a little thing. It is HUGE. I go to the ER with her when she's been exposed to scent.

    She is afraid to go out. For someone who loves being around people this is no small thing.

    You can't compare disabilities. A disability is a disability. There are horrible things about each and every one.

    Of course she is in favor of banning scents. That's where her disability lies. Why wouldn't she want to do that? To be able to go out amongst people and not be afraid that you will be exposed to that which makes you ill is something that everyone should be able to do.

    I live scent free. It's not hard.

    I am constantly amazed by the thoughtlessness of people. Even in scent-free places there are still people who marinate in scent.

    I don't know if it is ignorance or just simple don't care. All I know is my bestus friend has a disability and I will defend her to my last breath!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I try to live scent free. A lot of scents make me feel sick.

    This is an excellent post to educate us about this often-overlooked issue.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Poet... thanks for an interesting post. I didn't realise that scent could be so harmful to people. I would really like to understand it better. As far as I understand, all scents are made up from completely different ingredients, so what is it that makes you allergic to them? Are there particular ingredients that affect you?

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good evening readers: Thank you for your support, especially, of course, bestus, who has been in my corner all along. i am feeling a little better each day now, those antibiotics are doing the trick. Tonight, after work, bestus had to go begin our Christmas shopping alone, because after last saturday, she knows i just can't risk it.

    ~bestus )anonymous comments #1 & # 3) just thank you for standing by the 'sick one' ;)

    ~nikki~ i'm sorry that your husband has migraine due to scents. it is a terrible thing, and just as bad to him as my results are to me. thinking of him.

    ~miss Hpants~ you can. Stand up and take it to management. ask around to others in your office or organization. things won't change unless we change them.

    ~Anonymous comment #2- i know where you have come from, and too bad you were too cowardly to at least sign your post even if you have not got a Google Acct. i'm did not say to BAN Scents, what i said was in public places they should not be worn. common sense tells me that this is a global issue, get your head out of the perfume bottle, and take a look at what it does to someone like me. all i am asking for is a safe place to go to work be a productive member of society so that i can provide for my famiy. (at a decent wage). further i would like to feel safe walking through a mall, or a small store, the bank, post office, virtually everywhere truth be told. i know most of my triggers, but as i get sicker, these things change, and as a result, i don't know it is a problem until i'm faced with it, and that can prove deadly. how would you feel if you had my blood on your hands? to me, after i have encountered someone with scent on, i look at them with anger. because they don't realize and must be taught understanding. educated. i know for me, i try to make sure i am scent free where ever i go.

    ~Lisa~ GOOD for you on taking a stand too. in this day and age, we all have to be the change we want to see.

    ~Annie~ and now you know. there is a lot more to it than being allergic to dogs or cats, trees and grass. i believe that it is worse as time goes on, because of the new chemicals that are being created. i know for me, i had allergy testing done in the allergists office, and she only tested for mild things, such as cats, dogs, trees, grasses, weeds, etc. She said she would not perform the chemical sensitivity tests because i needed to be in hospital for those, just in case something really bad happened. (thank you for looking ahead). i have an idea what ingredients set me off, the highest on the list would be found in window cleaners. i used to joke and say i can't be around -EX products; tilex, javex, windex, to name a few, but now as my illness has progressed, i never know until i run it to something. i do not know what makes me allergic, i only know that i am more suseptable than some people, what happens is my bronchial tubes constrict, they produce gobs of thick mucous (which because the airways are constricted) that i cannot cough out. it feels like i have a pillow over my face, smothering, from the inside out. and then the chest pains start. these are pains from muscle spasms in my chest. and then after this first few minutes.....the anxiety hits, and having an anxiety attack on top of all of this is pretty much like having a heart attack. it is scary as hell. i have pulled back muscles and chest muscles from coughing, choked from gagging, and have had bestus pound my back to loosen up the mucous before i could expell it. yeah it is all very gross and graphic. i'm afraid that is my intention.

    anyway. that is how things are right now, tonight. take care and sleep easy~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I admit I did not know that scents could have such an awful effect on someone!! After reading this post I did not wear my usual lotion to yoga class last night. I'm glad you are speaking out in defense of yourself. We all need to do that more. Love & light to you. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete