so i finally heard back from the office of the sobriety group i have been a member of since 1999. it seems that they are unable to secure a scent free environment for little 'ole me. i did ask in my email (i forget when i wrote it, last time i got sick i guess), if it would be possible to put in a request to go scent free for the w/end. that request went unacknowledged. the nutshell version of what i received was, no can do, but good for you for having the online group for support.
so gee, thanks for that. just another indication that nothing changes if nothing changes, and the unwillingness to change in big organizations. just like corporate offices, just like call centres, just like everywhere. so sorry, we could not possibly ask anyone to do that, i mean really......
i am going to take a little drive over to vitale-aire and see what they have for masks. i might wind up walking around town like darth vader (yeah can't wait for the glares and stares from that). me, who does not like to be the centre of attention (contrary to what others might be thinking).
you know, we all preach about be the change you wanna see, but no one wants to DO it. i guess that is why things are the way they are. nothing changes if nothing changes. and do you know how much changing i have had to do? sometimes i just get very frustrated and alone in this plight. it does become quite discouraging to have to deal with this sort of thing. i have had to accept a lot since this allergy thing dropped by (unwelcome, uninvited, unwanted). it tires me to re hash it all. let's just say acceptance is not always that simple.
i really did want to celebrate my 8th soberversary by connecting in real like with members of an online group who have touched my life. c'est la vie~
make today GREAT...you are the only one who can.......poet
Well done on your 8 year anniversary! That is a wonderful accomplishment.
ReplyDeletehey Mom actually it is not until the 18th February :) but i am proud of myself, and agree that it is a wonderful accomplishment. it is one of those gifts that keep on giving, ya know?
ReplyDelete8 Years!!! Such a great accomplishment!
ReplyDeleteI don't know. I don't see asking folks to stop with their perfume in such a large group. They're already having enough to stop drinking & drugging. As for myself if Im out & wearing perfume & want to stop into a meeting but forgot you can no longer wear perfume there - well I'd go anyway. So my suggestion is for you to start your own meeting.
We did this all the time in NYC with SIA (survivors of Incest Anonymous) & AA. Started new meetings... Surely you can't be the ONLY person with these serious allergies. Find others, chose a day, find a safe place & start a sober & scent free AA group yourself!
I flew with 2 Women for years with allergies (it didnt put them in hospitals, they just didn't like it & would sneeze...) It was hard because I really love to smell pretty. so I would find some that weren't as strong to wear. Plus I was in FC & they were in Coach.
I think you could wear a mask to protect yourself when you go out. Since it's cold, just throw your scarf over it.
8 years? Way to go gal. I am so sorry that it was tainted by the fact that you couldn't meet your online group in person. Surely it isn't too much hassle to ask that people don't wear scent for one day? I can understand your frustration.
ReplyDelete8 Years is an awesome accomplishment and here's to a lifetime of sobriety for you!
ReplyDeleteI think the mask is a great idea. I know you'll feel self conscious but what a way to make visible an other invisible disability. The reality is that most people either don't know or don't care about this issue and you'll be changing that. Just think of the security in knowing you can go to the mall or anywhere and be protected from a potentially fatal reaction.
And I think KMae has a great idea - start your own scent free meeting. I don't have the issues you do but would gladly take the option of scent free over the usual scented choices.