I have been thinking about my upcoming sobriety anniversary. This year is #8. It is something that I am very proud of. It is also something that I don't toot my own horn about often. Just around anniversary time.
I belong to an online support group. I remember logging on to it in 1999, but did not join until 2000. I never posted on the site, did not participate in online chat meetings, or message anyone about my drinking. But, I did read....alot! I read how this one stopped and that one drank this much, and I read about the program itself and how it was life changing for so many women.
It was not until some time after St.Valentine's Day that I didn't crack open a beer after breakfast (breakfast was coffee & a smoke). for some reason on that day that I do not have a numerical date for, something changed. I was done. I have thought about why that was. I have wondered what happened in my head at that time.
Now, that is not to say I had an easy time of it. I mean, I also decided, (or my subconscious did) to stop taking the many different prescription medications I was on. What a ride. I might also mention that I was dealing with a lawyer for my divorce. I don't write about it much, because, well, I am not anonymous here anymore, so let's just say, it was a really rough time for me, the spring/summer of 2003.
Anyway, as for the drinking. I have made some fabulous new discoveries in sobriety. did you know that no one really cares what is in your glass? No, seriously, they don't. If someone is bugging you about not drinking with them, they need to address their own drinking. I actually enjoy looking around a restaurant now, and just seeing how many people have water with their meals, instead of a bottle of beer or a fancy glass of wine. Now, I was not always like that. I mean, well, I never went out anywhere for my first sober year, because I did not want to fall into a trap that DEMON might lay for me.
It took a lot of growth and a lot of work, but it is worth it. I have a voice. What I say matters. It is a wonderful realization. I have life experience that means something. I count. I am an example of what living sober is.
I have replaced many of the memories associated with my drinking self, with my New Life Self. That is something I am very proud of. I often can pick out the signs of someone else who might have a problem with booze or drugs. I read eyes. I can see what you don't want to tell me.
The website that I am a member of teaches me how to be a better person. How to be impeccable with my word. How to live a clean and sober life. It has a foundation of 13 affirmation statements, that can be used, not only in helping me over come alcoholism, but in every aspect of my life. I am a work in progress. I am learning every single day. If you want to learn more about this fabulous program, check out the link to the right, Women for Sobriety is the name of the organization. If you think you have a problem with drinking, or drugs, then you probably do, and I urge you to seek out this group, create an account, and enjoy the ride to a New Life.
In other news, my new job is going well. I am getting better at this whole proof reading thing. I can even distinguish typists now. I find each transcript interesting. I don't think I will tire of this job. In fact, I am sure now that this is what I hope to do until the age of retirement, and heck, I might not even want to retire. :) We'll see.
Make today GREAT!! you are the only one who can~ poet.
I am so proud of you for your continued sobriety - well done dear friend, well done
ReplyDelete8years! Awesome girl. You should be very proud of a very big accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are sharing your voice with us in blogland. You do have important things to say.
I have always told you, since Day 1, that you are much stronger than you give yourself credit for. I see by this post that you finally believe it.
ReplyDeleteI truly admire you, bestus.
Well done!
ReplyDeleteYou are an inspiration, Poet!
I am proud to be a sober part of the group you mentioned also!
Judy
Thanks for sharing your story, Poet.
ReplyDeleteRabbit says, "hello"
Thank you everyone. :) I feel good about my decision. I could not go back to the way I was when I drank. That was a different me, a me I used to know. That is not to say that everything is peachy-keen. Just know that it gets better.
ReplyDeleteI got a lot of comments on my post on the WFS site with my milestone post. Many newcomers wrote and expressed their appreciation. I guess that is the #1 reason I'm still active 'on the boards' as they say. Come to the light......
Mom~ thank you so much.
Bestus~ you taught me so much, too. I'm grateful.
Camlin~ thanks for coming over, how are things in your world?
judy~ it is an awesome group, eh?
rabbit~ well hello there :) welcome to my blog.
Awww Poet, I am really proud of you. It must have been a huge step to take and you made it... good on ya!
ReplyDelete"It took a lot of growth and a lot of work, but it is worth it. I have a voice. What I say matters. It is a wonderful realization. I have life experience that means something. I count. I am an example of what living sober is."
ReplyDeleteI couldn't possibly be prouder of you than I am. When we stop smoking our only vice will be CHOCOLATE! ;)