Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wordfilled Wednesday

Let's see, where was I? Oh yes, moving stuff. The bookshelves that were in the office, hereinafter referred to as m's room, have been cleared off, and three more boxes filled up for storage. One large bookshelf was moved down the hall, by k's room. Tomorrow the living room gets hell. Fireplace and TV goes kitty kornered, the back wall will be home for the computer desks (yes both hers and mine), the couch gets moved over by the window, but not too close to the heater, and the main wall (where the couch is now) will hold a couple of chairs and one end table. There are even more boxes to go to m's storage unit now. Our shed is packed to the rafters so that is not an option. Still not sure where the treadmill is going. I might have to clear the snow off the deck and break out a tarp. 

Work. Well, it seems that I am not hearing well, L said. she doesn't understand what else she can do to assist me. Today I bought a new headset, and changed some settings on the computer and the program we use to listen to audio files, and it seems to have made a slight difference. But I am still missing things. I booked an appointment with Audiocorp for a hearing test. The earliest I could get was March 10th. Maybe all those years in call centres really DID do something to my hearing. I am also going to call the dr. office and make an appointment to get the lugs sucked out, too. I need to get better with this job. I mean, I have very limited options as far as employment goes. I can't f*%k this up. L suggested that I transcribe a file from scratch. So, while I was getting the new headset, K did some microsoft word setting changes. I got home, and I worked on the 8 minute file. L suggested that I listen to it once through before I begin typing, that might help me as well. so I did. It took me a long time to get it finished, and spell checked, but I got it done, and sent her a message that it was on the site to be reviewed. She emailed me back a couple of hours later to let me know her revisions were done. I still had a lot of red lines through things. UGH. Surely I am not going to fail.  I know that she is frustrated with me. I'm frustrated with myself. Perhaps the ears aren't working as they should. Deafness doesn't run in my family that I am aware of. 

Thursday is our new and improved Quit Date. I am going to ceremoniously stop smoking the way I began, same brand, so I will buy one package tomorrow. I am all about symbolism, and ceremony, ya know. Funny, just thinking about stopping puts a panic in me. I wonder why that is? Because I didn't have it when I stopped drinking. It was what it was. I drank. then I drank a LOT, then I stopped. Where is my subconscious when I need it. I mean, really, it was playing with me in my dreams last night. Yeah, I freaked out because I was losing my hearing, and then bang, deaf. Talk about a subjective subconscious. I have been telling it/me that we are going to be done smoking, just want it to be done with. 

K said she wished it was 6 months from now. But I reminded her that if that were the case, spring and summer ( which she and m have been longing for) would be over with, and we would be staring another winter in the eyes. :) 


I guess, for me, I wish I was getting my new job, that the house was in order, and m was all moved in. Oh yes, that brings me to the introduction of the new cat, BJ (m's cat). We have no idea how he is going to react entering the established colony here. WE can hope for a minimal amount of territorial behaviour, not much blood shed, and just a hint of hissing. I expect it will be a fur flying few weeks until the boundaries are redrawn and everyone settles in, feline, canine, and human alike. :) 


Make today GREAT~ you are the only one who can * poet.

5 comments:

  1. Great post bestus. I understand the panic thing. I'm telling myself it isn't ME that's feeling that way, it's the addiction. One that I plan to be free of! Takin' back control, that's what we're doing!

    I don't want to feel self-consious about the smell, the brown fingers, the hating that the house smells like smoke anymore.

    We'll eventually get it all washed down.

    I think that "m" moving in will make a big difference too. She can help keep us on track.

    WE'RE GONNA DO IT BESTUS! I KNOW IT! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have a very full plate of concerns. Be strong. You will be successful at home and at work and in beating another addiction. Praying for your success in all areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope I don't end up posting the same comment twice because I thought I had posted earlier and was comming back to see if you had mentioned it.

    Anyway I'm doing some transcription in my spare time at the moment to make some extra cash. I type using four fingers and sometimes a thumb (not all on the one hand of course)SO I'm feeling your pain regarding accuracy and speed. Here in the UK accents are also a real issue.

    Anyway I use a free software called Express scribe. It uses the function keys on your keyboard to act like a dictaphone used to. F2=SLOW, F3=FAST, F4=STOP, F7=REW, F8=FAST FORWARD, F9=PLAY and F10=PLAY AT NORMAL SPEED. Express scribe comes from a company called NCH who give the software away in the hopes that you will purchase their USB footpedals and headsets etc. So there you go. A scot recomending Australian software to a Canadian. Is this the World Wide Web or what?

    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Bestus. ;)
    @Mom, thanks for coming over and offering your support.
    @TQ hiya, we actually use express scribe for our work. ;) like the program, it works well.
    Have a great w/end everyone~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Been away, don't know how I missed this newsy post.
    I have lost hearing from flying & blocked ears ... & also getting old!
    But for you this def sounds disconcerting. What the hell is going on?
    I feel your fear with the job ops...

    As for the smoking... Just say no.
    It's hard but so worth it.

    Good luck with all of it!

    ReplyDelete