Monday, September 27, 2010

Remembering Mom



It has been 1 full year since you left to be with Dad. Many things have happened in that year, Mom. I left the job, we got both your homes sold, k graduated with honours. we faced the first Hallowe'en without you smiling at the little kids from your favourite rocking chair. Thanksgiving was hard, because we knew you would try and enjoy turkey dinner and k's apple pie. Christmas was the most difficult of all, because it was the first year I ever recall not opening the Smarties tube, or the LifeSaver StoryBook. Yes, while walking through Wal*mart, I spied those items on the shelf, and broke down in uncontrollable sobs. I didn't even try to hide it. The new year came and went, and I know you would be listening to Lombardi singing "should old acquaintance be forgot...". I know you and Dad were singing it, tho.   Dad's birthday was hard this year, because now with you both gone, it just seems so empty, my heart.  My first birth day with out my mom was a hard day as well. I still have the last birthday card you signed, and I will keep it always.  The Easter bunny did not come this year to leave his white chocolate bunny. And I was sad again. Spring came and went and it was such a hot summer here, you would not have been feeling well in the heat we had.  Your birthday came and we decided that we will plant a beautiful red maple here in your honour. I know how you so loved trees. We went out to the cemetery today. The birds were singing louder than usual, I think they were singing for you today, and they brought me peace. We brought the flowers and little girl statue in for safe keeping over the winter, and we'll take them back out in the spring for you again. The Seedums are full purple now, you would love them.  B & J and the kids are loving your home, they have made it theirs, and they are so happy.

Well, today is one full year since you went to be with Dad. We miss you more than you will ever know. We love you!

5 comments:

  1. Betty, we do love you and miss you SO much! We will plant a beautiful tree and call it "Mom's tree". It won't be a stick either. ;)It will be a wonderful tree and we will think of you whenever we look at it, and when a bird sits on it and sings we'll wipe a tear away and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your mom, Poet! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I know we've only just 'met', but I'm sure you already understand that this post has touched my heart. You will go on missing your Mom but writing to her is a good way to deal with it. It has been for me, anyway. I actually learned that from my own Mom. She used to write letters to people she couldn't talk to and now I do it, too. Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your Mom was a wonderful lady and I always enjoyed visiting with her. Perhaps it would help me if I wrote a letter to MY Mom. You and I haven't had a good "interesting" (you know what I mean) chat for awhile. some late night when neither of us knows enough to go to bed........ toodles

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really good!
    You are so lucky to have had a mother that you loved so much!

    ReplyDelete